Skip to main content

I'm baaack! Grammar Police Monday - On The Farm

I'm back amongst the cyber-living with GPM and an announcement. 
I missed a lot while I was gone, even though I lurked a bit. That's the downside to a hiatus.  : (

Wanna know what the upside is?

I finished the draft of my current WIP, Come Back. Woot! :D


Of course, we all know that's not really THE END. I still have a long way to go. But I'm stoked.

Why?

I don't want to jinx it, but... *squinches eyes shut*  I've set a tentative release date. God willing and the creek don't rise (and a million other things that couldand probably willgo wrong), I'll publish my debut HR sometime this spring. *sqweeee* ...*faints*

Over the last few weeks, I've discovered what all is truly involved with self-publishing. I'm serious when I say, to any of you who've done it, I stand in awe of youwide-eyed, mouth-gaping, hero-worshiping awe.

I'll tell you more as things go along, but for now, please, wish me luck. 
I'm gonna need it.

Now for GPM...
:)

###

He’s got a tough road to hoe
...should be a tough row to hoe.

Hoeing garden rows has nothing to do with 
road construction.


He killed them all in one fowl swoop
...should be in one fell swoop.

The word fell actually has an adjective form, however antiquated, that means fierce, cruel, dreadful, destructive, savage. This idiom may evoke the image of a hawk swooping in, but the word to use is fell, not fowl.


Toe-headed
...should be tow-headed.

This compound adjective refers to someone with very light hair, the color of ‘tow,’ a light-colored rope. What the incorrect form of the word brings to mindum. We don’t need that visual. :P

###

One last tidbit before I go... I've been doing a little farming myself. These are cuttings from my mom's mulberry bush that I managed to root. 
(I started out with six. Four sprouted leaves; two lived.)


Can I keep them alive long enough to plant outside this spring? 
Or will they be sacrificed to the time-sucking gods of self-publishing?
We'll see...

###

That's all for today.
Thanks for visiting. :)



Comments

  1. Congratulations on hitting the end! We have an awesome self-publishing page at the IWSG if you need more research.
    Proud to say I've never messed up any of those sayings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Welcome back, Melissa! And congrats on finishing your novel. So happy for you! Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heck yeah! *HIGH FIVE* Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *takes a running leap* SMACK!
      Woohoo!!!!! :D

      Delete
  4. *Snoopy dances* Congrats M! :D

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZzEzDkeHzI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Thanks, EJ.
      That both welcomed me back and took me back. Love it!

      Delete
  5. So glad to have you back! And HUGE congrats on get to "The End"!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm both ecstatic and freaked out. LOL

      Delete
  6. Wahoo!!!! I'm so excited for you. That's epic. A couple words of advice that came from a VERY smart publishing coach: "Publishing a book is 5% writing the book, and 95% marketing." I stand behind him and echo those words. You know you've got me on your promotion bandwagon--so say the word and I'll pen you in. Yay! SO excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Crystal! I'll be posting sign up forms eventually so people can help if the choose. :)

      Delete
  7. Luck, luck, all the luck in the world!

    Fell and tow, words with obscure definitions that only survive in sayings, as long as they're not mangled. The road/row thing I'm surprised at, though. I mean, who hoes a road?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on finishing your WIP!!! That's awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. luck...luck...luck!!!
    Congrats on getting two plants - more than I would have, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Melissa & Carol, Thanks!!!
      @Carol - Don't feel bad. My first 8 died. This was round 2. LOL

      Delete
  10. Congrats on 'The End'! Self publishing is a huge job and I admire you for taking it on. There's so much I don't know about it so I'm still pretty intimidated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's good to see you're back. :) Congrats on the finished draft-- that's a huge accomplishment!
    I've heard self-publishing is a tough row to hoe, ;) but I'm sure you're up to it and I'm cheering for you every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back! Woot, woot! Grats on getting to the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Aubrie & Loni - Thanks, you two! :)
      *does another happy dance*

      Delete
  13. Hey Melissa,

    Your welcome, oops, you're welcome for my eagerly anticipated commented. A joy to see your most excellent self back in this here Blogland, n'stuff.

    Glad you have drafted your WIP. Whatever that means :) Does, or do the Grammar Police take into account the misspelling of words as in American English? LOL

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hail to the great Klahanie and his faithful famous pooch.
      Yes, it's good to be back.

      hahaha
      Very funny :P

      Delete
  14. Yay! I read about your trip, but wanted to catch GPM. I've never heard "tow-headed."

    You rock. Missed you!

    M.L. Swift, Writer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say.
Thanks for taking the time to comment. = )